So one of the first things I wanted to figure out on the Evo was how to do a factory reset. It’s actually very easy on the Evo–in my opinion too easy. I say too easy because I don’t really want someone to be able to easily reset my phone maliciously. The Motorola Droid for example takes a bit more effort and can often take a couple tries to get the job done. Oh well, minor annoyance.
Anyway, here are the steps and a video…
- Power off the phone (remove and reinsert the battery in the case of a hard lockup)
- While holding down the ‘Volume down’ button, press and hold the ‘Power’ button
- In a matter of seconds you will land on a system menu that contains the option to ‘Clear data’
- Using the volume buttons, highlight the ‘Clear data’ option and select it by pressing the power button
- Next, you will be prompted to confirm that you want to do the reset and you will press the ‘Volume up’ button to answer ‘yes’
- The phone will reset and reboot, and you will eventually be presented with the initial phone setup screens